Saturday, May 7, 2011

Panning for Gold........


I wish!!!!! At today's prices those flecks would pay for new rims and spokes. No, this is swarf when I cleaned out the oil tank a few weeks back. Not very reassuring about what is going on in the motor. These old bikes were never equipped with oil filters and relied on large oil ways and single weight, non-detergent oil to lubricate the entire engine. There is a great deal of debate about retro-fitting oil filters to these bikes to reduce wear and tear.I personally have come down to leaving well enough alone and run with single weight oil. I figure that running the bike under the conditions it was engineered is the way to go. After seeing this, I am not so sure.

I have a vintage filter system that would do the trick. The problem is finding a logical place to install it that is functional and aesthetically pleasing. I have tried a couple of options and none of them have really been suitable. Right now, I'll stick with the original option. Can't wait to see what I find in the sump.....hopefully gold doubloons!

No comments:

Post a Comment