Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Another Acquisition


I'll admit that I collect just about anything related to Norton Model 7's  and more specifically the plunger framed models. I collect pictures, articles, even references some of which have already appeared in the blog. But one to of the pleasures of classic motorcycling that I' ve recently found myself relishing is the history. It's fun to put one's bike in context and I have to thank without a doubt Paul d'Orleans of The Vintagent as well as Pete and Kim Young of Occhio Lungo. Pete put out a bibliography for the vintage and classic motorcyclist that has literally turned my motorcycling life around. The books he suggested really have helped my development as a mechanic. An interesting side-effect has been my exposure to period motorcycle literature which has turned out to be very enjoyable in addition to being practical.


I recently acquired an autographed, first edition of Racing though the Century by Geoff S. Davison. A great book about the early years of motorcycle racing and part of a series of several editions on the subject. I love the Manx Norton artwork on the dustcover. Classic stuff. The autograph is a bonus too. Unfortunately there is not much information on Mr. Davison.



A thorough internet search didn't yield much except for one small personal connection. It turns out that Geoff Davison won the 250cc class at the 1923 French Motorcycle Grand Prix held in Tours, France. Tours is the town that I grew up in as a child and that my Grandmother aged 101 still resides. She or my Grandfather, a keen motorcyclist in his own right, could quite possibly have seen him roaring throught the streets of one of the most beautiful cities in France. If anyone has information or pictures of Geoff S. Davison please send them so that a biography can be built on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. I also took the lead from Paul d'Orleans and Dennis Quinlan of the Velobanjogent and found copies of
    Private Owner and Contenental Circus. These are two great first person accounts of racing in the same pre-war period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. I'm glad that you've found some good stuff to read. There is a lot to learn in those old pages.

    ciao,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete