Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Wishes

Old Glory over Baghdad on my last day
in Iraq June 2009

Many of the international readers may not know that today is Memorial Day here in the United States. Memorial Day was originally Decoration Day honoring Union Soldiers of the Civil War but was expanded to honor all U.S. soldiers who died in military service after World War I. Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday in May and is a bittersweet holiday. It honors those soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice while at the same time marking the beginning of the Summer holiday season.


On mission in Karbala 2009

This Memorial Day is particularly bittersweet for me in that two weeks ago I was honorably discharged from the United States Army after 21 years of service. It feels a little strange not being in uniform any longer but I am proud that I stood up to be counted for my conviction to the principles that make this country great. To all the soldiers, sailors, and airmen out there I wish you good luck and to those who have given there life for their country particularly those I was unable help I say God Speed.

So if you see a soldier, a veteran, or a wounded warrior today please make sure you pat them on the back and say thanks. SOLDIER ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment